[Users] best way to install claws-mail on Mint

Martín Ricca martin.ricca at vera.com.uy
Fri Feb 4 02:06:48 UTC 2022

El  3 de febrero de 2022
Dave Stevens via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> escribió:

>  I have a fresh install of Mont 20.3 and want to add claws mail. It's
> in the repo but I can't tell what version is there or if I should try
> to find a better (more recent) build. Suggestions?

Hello,

I too am using Mint 20.3. It seems the version which is in the
repository is 3.17.5, which was released on February 2020. This is
perhaps a bit older than I would have expected.

I used the version that was in the repository briefly, when I first
started using Claws about a year ago. The only issue I remember having
with it is that all the text in the menus was in Spanish, as intended,
but the headers for the columns in the list of messages were in English,
and I could find no way of changing this.

Currently I use version 4.0.0, which I built from source, and it has
given me no problem yet.

I cannot say if the version in the repository is `too` old, but perhaps
somebody more familiar with the changes made since will be able to tell
you.
One thing to keep in mind is that the 3.x.x versions use GTK+ 2, while
the 4.x.x versions use the newer GTK+ 3.

When it comes to compiling the source yourself, my recommendation would
depend on how comfortable you were with such things. I must say that it
did give me some trouble, but I managed it and it's not too bad (also,
it was the first piece of software I ever built from source, so bear
that in mind).

Hope some of this rambling was of use