[Users] Threading with groups.io, broken by groups.io policy it seems.

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Tue Aug 16 18:27:15 UTC 2022

Hi Brian,

On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 15:31:43 +0100
Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Aug 2022 12:57:39 +0100
> Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I notice that my replies to groups.io groups via email are not threading
> > correctly, it turns out that the Message-Id: header is being
> > substituted with a groups.io message ID and the original is being put
> > into an X-Orig-Message-Id: header.
> >
> > I don't remember Claws being able to use this X- header, but if it can
> > how do I do it? Alternatively could this be added as feature request
> > please.
> >

> Any thoughts on this one now that the layout discussion has died down.

Claws Mail doesn't use that header nor any of the several others similarly
named floating around the net.

It's unfortunate groups.io have decided to run away from the recommendation
of RFC 5322 § 3.6.4. And while skipping it doesn't make the message
non-compliant as per RFC, surely makes it harder to interoperate with
standard mail readers.

That would be consistent, IMHO, with the ultimate goal of these sites: to
keep the users within the platform, because reading from the outside makes
it way harder to monetize your clicks and build user's profiles.

On the other side they say "No Ads, No Tracking" on the front page, and have
a full page devoted to "Why Email Groups" (until you notice email is just an
"integration" and the last on the list), so perhaps my paranoia is simply too
high today :)

If I were you I'd rewrite their messages upon receiving, so the header name
is reverted to the original. It's probably the easiest to do.

regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~