[Users] Views keep getting changed on exit ?

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 01:06:09 UTC 2022

On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 10:51:24 +1000
Peter Richards <peter777 at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 05:55:04 +0600
> Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > DM: Hi, Peter. I (and I think others also) have experienced
> > something similar with Claws not 'remembering' certain changes that
> > have been made to the user interface. ... I noticed this only
> > started for me when I switched from the GTK2 to GTK3 versions, so
> > that might be the same in your case. ... ---Dustin
>
> Thanks Dustin, very interesting. I'm using Claws 4.0 now, and from ...
>
> dpkg -l libgtk* | grep -e '^i' | grep -e 'libgtk-*[0-9]'
>
> it seems GTK 3.

DM: Yes, the 4.x versions are GTK3 and the 3.x versions are GTK2. My
understanding is that both of these are continuing to be developed, so
if you prefer the GTK2 version and are willing/able to install it, then
that would be one option to consider.

> I was using 'impish' before, and from
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/claws-mail , shows GTK2 , so
> definitely a switch from the GTK2 to GTK3 , as you have mentioned.

DM: Yeah, it doesn't really solve your problem, but I thought it worth
mentioning since it will give you an idea of a least one variable
that's likely involved. My understanding is that porting Claws (or
probably any program) from GTK2 to GTK3 is a pretty huge task, so if
you continue using the GTK3 version you may find other quirks here and
there, while at the same time perhaps finding some things you like that
aren't available in the GTK2 version. Each user just has to figure out
which set of pros and cons they prefer to go with. And with ongoing
development, these will change as well, as new releases come out.
---Dustin