[Users] Fw: Gmail accounts in Claws-Mail

cr cr at orcon.net.nz
Fri Apr 29 08:53:07 UTC 2022

Thanks Dustin!   I'll file this for reference.
I gather Oauth2 is supported in Claws 3.18.0 and  4.0.0
onwards.

(The following may be informative for Debian and derivative users:
I'm using Debian  10 Buster on my main laptop, which includes Claws
3.17.3.    Debian 11 Bullseye (the current Stable) *also* includes
Claws 3.17.3 (so backports are n/a).    Debian 12 Bookworm which
includes Claws 4.0.0 is expected to have a full release April-May 2023.
So updating my Debian won't help for a year.   I could try and
install from Sid (Testing) but I don't wanna risk breaking my email.

Fortunately for me, my main email provider (Orcon) isn't causing me any
worry, my Gmail account is mostly in case I ever change ISP's.
So I guess for now I can put up with using  Gmail via webmail - easiest
workaround.   Alternatively  Gmail do an App Password procedure
as a compromise fix -
"For now, I opted to use gmail's App Password option. This replaces
your gmail password in Claws (and only via Claws, and only on that
machine) with a special google-generated code that is verified once by
2SV (automated call to my landline)." - Second Round on
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=2165976  )

So thankyou Dustin for clarifying matters - I don't have an immediate
solution but at least now I understand the problem   :)