[Users] Protonmail and Claws

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 03:03:47 UTC 2022

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 10:34 PM Lawrence London <lfljvenaura at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 6:25 PM Zach Robbins <zachr at outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Apr 2022 16:22:19 -0700
>> "Lawrence London" <lfljvenaura at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > How do I set up Claws to access my Protonmail account and download my
>> > email to my computer? I run Claws from an external hard drive using a
>> > command in Windows 10 "run".
>>
>> https://protonmail.com/bridge
>>
>> You do have to be a paid subscriber.

I plan on doing that.

Although Claws doesn't seem to have specific instructions on the Protonmail
>> website, it's similar enough to Thunderbird that you could probably figure
>> out how to configure Claws. Essentially, the bridge software creates a
>> local daemon that you connect to as though it were any other remote IMAP
>> mail server. Protonmail's 'labels' are represented as folders in Claws, and
>> to apply labels, you copy messages to those folders. I find it works well.
>>

> Thanks very much, Zach.
> As my Claws installation on an external drive has a complete archive of
> all my email I plan to keep that as is. Can I install a new copy of Claws
> on the same drive to use with Protonmail,
> in other words multiple instances of Claws on the same drive each
> accessing different mail hosts. Would there be any conflict? This is
> probably covered in the Claws FAQ. The configuration files for each would
> probably preclude that.

I found this in  search:

Running two instances of Claws Mail
https://lists.claws-mail.org/pipermail/users/2016-September/017426.html

*This is possible if you start at least one of them thus:
*>>* claws-mail --alternate-config-dir /my/other/config*

The command I use to run Claws is:
d:\CLAWS Mail\claws-mail.exe --alternate-config-dir d:\Claws Mail Config

It has been a while since I set this up and now I do not remember the name
of the editable config file.
I'd like to have a look at it to see how I got it to work. What is the name
of that config file I need to find
and which folder would it be in, d:\CLAWS Mail or d:\Claws Mail Config?
It runs completely on drive d: and there are no files on the boot drive.

I will download a new copy  of Claws and set it up on this same drive, then
connect it to Protonmail Bridge.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.