[Users] Running CM on a new box

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Sat Apr 9 15:35:55 UTC 2022

On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 11:17:18 -0400
Gil Weber <gilweber at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Apr 2022 14:43:25 +0000
> Bob Williams <usenet at karmasailing.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 9 Apr 2022 10:23:24 -0400
> > Gil Weber wrote:

> > > Forgive me, Paul. How do I preserve the timestamps
> > > for .claws_cache and .claws-mark?  Thanks.  :o)
> > > Gil
> > >
> > Hi Gil,
> >
> > See
> >
> > $ man cp
> >
> > for all the options
> >
> > and
> >
> > $ man man
> >
> > if you're not familiar with the man command
> >
> > HTH
> > Bob
> >
> > --
> > Bob Williams
> >

> Bob, thanks for the reply. I looked at both in the terminal but
> don't see anything on how to preserve the timestamps. Am I
> looking for an answer that is there but not expressed as
> "time stamps?"

man cp includes the following:

-p
    same as --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps

--preserve[=ATTR_LIST]
    preserve the specified attributes (default:
    mode,ownership,timestamps), if possible additional attributes:
    context, links, xattr, all

and also:

-a, --archive
    same as -dR --preserve=all

so cp -a or cp -p are appropriate depending on exactly what you are
copying.