[Users] Upgrading with Multiple Directories

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:39:35 UTC 2022

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 12:11:29 -0000
Paul <paul at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 18:03:04 +0600
> Dustin Miller <dustbiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For the configuration
> > step of the build process, I run a command like './configure
> > --with-config-dir=/path/to/alternate/.claws-mail'.
>
> That's true, you can pass that to ./configure, but probably/possibly
> better for you to use that as a runtime option. This seems easier
> than a different binary for each config-dir location: instead one
> binary using a different config dir when run.

DM: Okay, I guess I was assuming that no matter how many times you run
the build / install process, you would always end up with only one
binary unless you specified a different prefix.

DM: In any case, from what you're saying it sounds like you only need
to do the build / install once and then you can point CM to as many
different existing directories as you want, specifying each one at
runtime of the respective instance. Thus, the implication is that the
build / install process does not need to have any interaction with the
configuration directory.

DM: So presumably the '--with-config-dir=' option for ./configure is
only helpful if you want to *create* a configuration directory at a
non-default location. Thanks, ---Dustin