[Users] Upgrading with Multiple Directories

Paul paul at claws-mail.org
Wed Apr 6 09:48:38 UTC 2022

On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 10:04:39 +0600
Dustin Miller via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> I normally install / upgrade Claws Mail (CM) by building from a
> 'release' tarball or occasionally from the development source code
> available on git. I run multiple instances of CM and have a separate
> configuration directory for each instance, which gets specified during
> the configuration step of the build process and when executing the
> binary. One thing I'm not clear on is how the build process affects the
> configuration directory.
>
> Assuming that each instance of CM is run using the same binary, for
> doing an upgrade do I need to go through the build process for each
> configuration directory, or is it sufficent to do it only for one?

It's not clear what you are saying here because the configuration directory
(default is ~/.claws-mail/) is not set at build time but at run time (you can
choose a different location from the default by using --alternate-config-dir
[DIR]). You can choose different installation directory when building, using
--prefix. I suppose that is what you mean?

with regards

Paul