[Users] Upgrading with Multiple Directories

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 04:04:39 UTC 2022

I normally install / upgrade Claws Mail (CM) by building from a
'release' tarball or occasionally from the development source code
available on git. I run multiple instances of CM and have a separate
configuration directory for each instance, which gets specified during
the configuration step of the build process and when executing the
binary. One thing I'm not clear on is how the build process affects the
configuration directory.

Assuming that each instance of CM is run using the same binary, for
doing an upgrade do I need to go through the build process for each
configuration directory, or is it sufficent to do it only for one?

(I have recently tried upgrading by doing the build process for just one
config dir. When running the instance associated with another config
dir, I noticed that the version showing changed and there didn't seem
to be any noticeable problems. But I thought it would be worth it to
double-check to make sure I'm not missing something.)

Thanks,
Dustin