[Users] OAUTH2 Authorisation Status

lists lists at lazygranch.com
Sat Apr 2 14:24:01 UTC 2022

In the US there are HIPAA "compliant" email vendors but based on your spelling you are not in the US.

You can get a VPS for about $5 a month and run your own server. Getting your email accepted is another story.

I am on Digital Ocean and Spectrum has a policy of not accepting any email from DO. So far they don't do this with Linode, AWS, etc.

Other than Spectrum I have no issues. AT&T requires a static IP from a VPS that they whitelist  which isn't an issue other than you have to contact them once to get on the approved list.

One big advantage to running your own email server is you can use geolocation to limit the access to your account. For example on my server  the only port open to the world is 25. I have the server set up to use 587 so there is no auth on 25. I can only retrieve and submit email from specific countries. I also block the IP space from hosting companies, VPSs other than my own IP, etc. I have greatly reduced the attack surface.

Case in point. When I used hosted services I was hacked from Morocco. I am sure it is a fine country but I don't live there and don't see the need to be able to change my password from that country. In the case of that hosted service there was an exploit in RoundCube and I don't use a browser for email. This hack was the breaking point for me and I have self hosted ever since it happened except for that brief moment when I used the HIPAA service.

The only way to change my email server is via SSH using PKI. There is no web access to make changes.

This sounds like a lot of work but really once it is set up there isn't much to to other than update the server. I host my own websites as well.