[Users] Check every folder every time?

Dedeco Balaco dedeco.balaco at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 26 02:11:36 CEST 2021

Em 22/09/2021 02:14, Milan Obuch escreveu:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 21:41:39 -0300, Dedeco Balaco via Users
> <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> i have used Thunderbird for several years, and i want to start with
>> something else. There are problems with it that never get solved, and
>> this is really frustrating. Some people recommended Claws Mail to me,
>> so, i am starting to use it.
>>
>> You can expect other messages from me. But let's focus on this one,
>> for now.
>>
>> I configured an IMAP mail account to check every minute for new
>> messages. It is an important account i have, and i want to mimic all
>> the settings i use for it in Thunderbird. But there is something very
>> strange happening: _why Claws Mail is checking for new messages in
>> every folder_??  I kept looking at it for a few minutes, just to
>> observe... it always says it is *scouring* each folder, one by one
>> (if this is not the untranslated word used, the translator used its
>> correspondent in my language, a very uncommon word, which i never saw
>> in this context). This enormous amount of scouring makes no sense for
>> the way i use the folders. The only folders that should be checked
>> are Inbox and Spam, and eventual folders where filters move messages
>> to (at the moment, none).
>>
>> What can you say?
>>
> Hi,
>
> I have no experience with Thunderbird, but with Claws Mail, there is
> possibility to tweak almost every aspect you can think of.
>
> Regarding scanning for new messages, you can simply make a folder to be
> ignored in process, it just takes some time to do it - right click on
> the folder in folder list pane brings you a context menu. There is a
> lavel 'Properties...', second from bottom. In configuration window
> opened, approx. one third to bottom, you have checked option labeled
> 'Scan for new mail'. Uncheck it and this folder will not be checked for
> new mail messages when corresponding account starts message scanning
> process. Also, you can apply this setting recursively for all
> subfolders.
>
> That's it. You should decide which folders need to be checked for new
> messages, you have tool to set Claws Mail to do it the way you want.

This "tweak side" is something that really attracts me.    (:

Indeed, i could change the "new mail checking" for only a few folders,
which are the ones that makes sense for the account in analysis. But
there is something i found very counter intuitive: the "apply to
subfolders" column. First, I tried to use the first button, which is
always checked, and disabled to changes. After several tries, i
surprisingly discovered that the other checkboxes below "apply to
subfolders" label are freely checked, _independently_ of what is in
their same line. I had not noticed that this dialog is a table with
several lines and 2 columns.

Now, just one question: for every account i add to Claws, the default
behaviour will be to check all folders that exist on the IMAP account?
(IMAP may not always be the case, but it is the only one that i care about)

Thank you    😁👍🏾