[Users] Check every folder every time?

Milan Obuch claws-mail-users at dino.sk
Wed Sep 22 07:14:20 CEST 2021

On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 21:41:39 -0300, Dedeco Balaco via Users
<users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i have used Thunderbird for several years, and i want to start with
> something else. There are problems with it that never get solved, and
> this is really frustrating. Some people recommended Claws Mail to me,
> so, i am starting to use it.
>
> You can expect other messages from me. But let's focus on this one,
> for now.
>
> I configured an IMAP mail account to check every minute for new
> messages. It is an important account i have, and i want to mimic all
> the settings i use for it in Thunderbird. But there is something very
> strange happening: _why Claws Mail is checking for new messages in
> every folder??_ I kept looking at it for a few minutes, just to
> observe... it always says it is *scouring* each folder, one by one
> (if this is not the untranslated word used, the translator used its
> correspondent in my language, a very uncommon word, which i never saw
> in this context). This enormous amount of scouring makes no sense for
> the way i use the folders. The only folders that should be checked
> are Inbox and Spam, and eventual folders where filters move messages
> to (at the moment, none).
>
> What can you say?

Hi,

I have no experience with Thunderbird, but with Claws Mail, there is
possibility to tweak almost every aspect you can think of.

Regarding scanning for new messages, you can simply make a folder to be
ignored in process, it just takes some time to do it - right click on
the folder in folder list pane brings you a context menu. There is a
lavel 'Properties...', second from bottom. In configuration window
opened, approx. one third to bottom, you have checked option labeled
'Scan for new mail'. Uncheck it and this folder will not be checked for
new mail messages when corresponding account starts message scanning
process. Also, you can apply this setting recursively for all
subfolders.

That's it. You should decide which folders need to be checked for new
messages, you have tool to set Claws Mail to do it the way you want.

Regards,
Milan