[Users] Open Attachments

Milan Obuch claws-mail-users at dino.sk
Fri Sep 24 08:25:57 CEST 2021

On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 17:18:34 +1200, Brian Bates <buzz at ksys.co.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 07:04:56 +0200
> Milan Obuch <claws-mail-users at dino.sk> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > could you be more verbose? What you'd like to achieve? What did you
> > tried, *exactly*, step by step? Are you able to do something similar
> > manually, i. e. not using action? I think others can't help with
> > such a vague question.
>
> Sorry for being vague.
> What I am trying to achieve:
> 1. Open new compose window.
> 2. Press Ctrl+M and attach a pdf file.
> 3. Go to the "Attachments" tab in the compose window.
>
> This is where I am stumped so far.
>
> This will now be showing the attached file details in what I think may
> be a list box, under the headings "Mime type" "Size" "Name".
> It should be showing the following line:
> "application/pdf 20.11KB mypdf.pdf"
>
> If I double click this line it shows a properties dialog.
> Right click give the options to remove it, add another file or show
> the properties dialog.
>
> I would like to add the ability to open the file in the appropriate
> external program. In this case my choice of pdf viewer.

Brian, thanks for description. This is actually functionality I was
missing on some occasion in past. Maybe others find it usefull as well.
Are you able to build Claws Mail by yourself? I did some search in
sources and I think in order to achieve what you want, some editing or
patching source files would be necessary.

Nicest way to solve this issue would be adding two items to popup menu
invoked by right click, 'Open' and 'Open with...' (as found in main
window's menu item 'View' -> 'Message part' or in popup menu shown when
right clicking message part in message view window). There is one
problem - there is no mimeview member in struct _Compose as opposed to
_Mainwindow (via messageview) and _MessageView.

So I have no answer for you right now. Maybe others could offer more
insight, however for now I think this is a task for developers (maybe
not that hard). I am going to investigate a bit more, but some more
time is necessary to do so...

Regards,
Milan