[Users] Use WKD through GPGME

Paul paul at claws-mail.org
Sun Nov 7 11:49:28 UTC 2021

On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 12:31:41 +0100
Christoph Klassen <christoph.klassen at intevation.de> wrote:

> But when a person did enable a privacy system, it shows that encryption is
> important to this person.

Yes, but that does not mean that they want to encrypt or even sign every
message they write. In fact, I'd wager, mostly they do not sign/encrypt.

> For software it's important to offer a good usability and this way you
> would make it a lot easier to start with encrypted emails because people
> don't have to concern themselves with the actions feature.

I don't think even gnupg itself allows an attempt at fetching a key for
some email address you might want to use for encrypting. This sort of
automation could and probably would lead to (costly) mistakes.

gpg's 'auto-key-retrieve' and 'auto-key-locate' are honoured by Claws Mail,
as it uses gpgme. If there is an option in gpg.conf to allow for what you
suggest then that would be the way forward on this, imo.

You seem to be raising the old argument that if gpg was easier to use then
more people would use it, but this has not been seen to be the case as far as
I'm aware.

with regards

Paul