[Users] Claws-mail and "Exchange online".

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 00:14:30 CET 2021

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 09:14:37 +0100
Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 20:50:18 +1300
> Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> > I would really like to continue using claws-mail.
> >
> > I have no idea what it means to "support OAUTH2" ...
> >
> If you are willing to build claws yourself you can check out the
> oauth2 branch. I am myself employed at a university which also uses
> exchange online and the build from the oauth2 branch works for me.

DM: Hi, Michael. I've been working on getting this working and I think
I'm getting close. My main question for now is whether there is any
guide in regards to how to set up one's account within Claws? Here is
what I've tried (via Configuration - New Account):

* For the server protocol I at first decided to just leave the default
  as POP and ignore it, but then later I wasn't able to save a
  different setting because it gave a warning about some POP settings
  not being entered. So I went back and changed the protocol to 'None
  (SMTP only)'.
* SMTP server: smtp.office365.com
* 'SMTP Authentication' box checked, method 'auto', entered user ID but
  left PW blank.
* SSL: 'Use STARTTLS command to start encrypted session'
* Advanced: SMTP port: 587
* OAUTH2:
* Service provider: MS Exchange
* Obtain auth code via a browser: Clicked on ‘Click to copy code to
  clipboard’ which took me to the account's web login page, where I
  logged in and clicked 'Accept' on the ‘Permissions requested’ dialog
  to give Claws permission to access the account. This resulted in a
  blank screen in my browser (Google Chrome), which was a bit confusing.
  But it must have copied a code to the clipboard since I was then able
  to paste a string of text in the ‘Authorisation code’ field.
* I then clicked on ‘Authorise’ to complete the authorization, but
  there was no obvious evidence of anything resulting from that.
* After doing this, the account didn’t show up in the list of accounts
  available for checking mail (i.e. ‘receiving’) via the ‘Message’
  menu, but it did show up in the list under the ‘Config’ menu where
  you can change the current account, so I tried this but then the
  ‘current account’ option was greyed out under the ‘Message’ menu for
  checking mail. But perhaps that is simply because of the protocol I
  chose (SMTP only)?

DM: I wasn't able to figure out how to view or check my mail with this
account using Claws and the oauth2 protocol and am uncertain whether
I've simply set it up wrong or whether there is a problem somewhere
else. If you would have any ideas on how I could troubleshoot this, it
would be much appreciated. Thanks, ---Dustin