[Users] Hi, need advice on possible linux virus in an email

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 6 19:37:00 CET 2021

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 12:43:15 -0500, zentara wrote:
>On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 13:12:07 +0100 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>It can't be the GPU issue I mentioned and a virus is quasi out of
>>scope. What in the attachment should include a virus? The "href"
>>parts?
>
>Those base64 encoded strings in the google headers
>could be hiding something. Who knows if they
>wern't replaced downstream from the gmail server.

I can't decode those headers into something human readable by using...

 [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ base64 --help | head -7
 Usage: base64 [OPTION]... [FILE]
 Base64 encode or decode FILE, or standard input, to standard output.

 With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.

 Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
   -d, --decode          decode data

...however, I suspect if Gmail was hacked and DKIM-Signature etc. would
be replaced by malicious code, you would not be the only one suffering
from an issue, not to mention that a vulnerability of the code
interpreting the email headers, unlikely could be misused to gain root
access by malicious code, as short as the header files.

Certainly you never know, but assuming an attack is very unlikely.
Another issue seems to be way more reasonable.