[Users] Hi, need advice on possible linux virus in an email

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 6 06:43:52 CET 2021

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 23:41:50 -0500, zentara wrote:
>Kernel:  5.8.10

Just a shot in the dark.

Claws GTK3 3.99.0.r0.gce219a1a5 doesn't import your attached email. I
tried several times. However, while I can't explain that you experience
this kind of issue probably only when opening a particular email, but
you explicitly mention using linux > 5.8 and X...

...are you using an Intel GPU and the "intel" driver? If so, are you
aware that the "intel" driver isn't maintained since years and broken
with kernels >= 5.4?

If so migrating to the "modesetting" driver could be one workaround,
but it might cause other issues, e.g. when using Internet browsers such
as Chrome and Firefox. Downgrading to kernels <= 5.4 IMO is the better
workaround. I'm in favour of 4.19 kernels, for usage with my affected
Intel GPU.

"Note: Some (Debian & Ubuntu [
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ubuntu-Debian-Abandon-Intel-DDX
], Fedora [
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-Xorg-Intel-DDX-Switch
], KDE [ https://community.kde.org/Plasma/5.9_Errata#Intel_GPUs ])
recommend not installing the xf86-video-intel driver, and instead
falling back on the modesetting driver for Gen4 and newer GPUs (GMA
3000 from 2006 and newer). See [1], [2], Xorg#Installation, and
modesetting(4). However, the modesetting driver can cause problems such
as Chromium Issue 370022 and vsync jitter/video stutter in mpv." -
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_graphics#Installation