[Users] Hi, need advice on possible linux virus in an email

zentara zzmiloschxx at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 05:41:50 CET 2021

Hi,
I have been a longtime users of claws-mail and
this is the first time I've encountered a bug or virus
like this. Especially worrisome on linux.

I'm not sure what is going on, so I ask here for
guidance and pointers.

This is what happened.

I send a friend an email, he replies, when I try
to replay back, my keyboard locks up when focus
is in the claws reply message box.

When I try to close up the claws program, I get a corrupted
screen, and a complete X-server lockup.

What is even more worrisome is after the X-server is killed
with a Cntl-Alt-Backspace, I get 2 pids in ps auxww, showing
claws-mail is now still in memory with 2 pids, and I cannot
as user kill them. Only root can kill them with a kill-9 "pid",
ps says they are Rs flagged

Otherwise, my mail runs fine. I have repeated this with the
attached email many times.

I can provide a short video of my screen to show what
is happening, if needed.

My system is a recent Slackware current, modified by me with a newer
kernel.

Kernel:  5.8.10
Claws-mail: 3.17.8  self-compiled
Window Manager: ICEWM

Please be warned that I experienced a lockup with this email and
it leaves some sort of resident zombie-like pid owned by root.

I would appreciate it is anyone could stick this email in
their Mail Trash folder and either verify what I'm saying
or suggest a possible simple explanation.

Thank You,
Joe Milosch