[Users] Gdata

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Thu Jan 7 13:47:38 CET 2021

Hi Andrea,

On Tue, Jan 05, 2021 at 04:39:02PM +0100, Andrea Borrone wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to use gdata to access my addressbook on Google Contacts but
> without success. I'm using Debian Buster ands Gdata ver. 3.17.3 but
> code (16 alfanumeric code) generate with
> myaccount.google.com/security/apppasswords doesn't works. In log file:
> * Plugin GData: Avvio autorizzazione interattiva
> * Plugin GData: Ottenuto codice di autorizzazione, avvio richiesta
> autorizzazione
> *** Plugin GData: Errore di autorizzazione: L'accesso è stato negato
> dall'utente o dal server.
>
> In English sound like this:
> * Plugin GData: Start interactive auth
> * Plugin GData: Get auth code, start auth request
> *** Plugin GData:  Auth error. Access refused from user or server.
>
> I tried more than one times but without success
> dpkg -l '*gdata*'
> ii  claws-mail-gdata-plugin:amd64 3.17.3-2
> ii libgdata-common 0.17.9-3     all
> ii libgdata22:amd64
>
> dpkg -l '*claws-mail*'|grep ^ii
> ii  claws-mail                     3.17.3-2
> ii  claws-mail-attach-warner:amd64 3.17.3-2
> ii  claws-mail-dillo-viewer:amd64 3.17.3-2
> ii  claws-mail-gdata-plugin:amd64  3.17.3-2
> ii  claws-mail-i18n                3.17.3-2
> ii  claws-mail-pdf-viewer:amd64 3.17.3-2
> ii  claws-mail-pgpinline:amd64     3.17.3-2
> ii  claws-mail-pgpmime:amd64 3.17.3-2
>
> Please can you help me? Thank you.
>
> PS
> On Google it's active the two factor auth and...
> sorry for my English

I don't use gdata, but I've tried to start the process from scratch also
on Debian Buster, and when trying to obtain the code the response from
Google was a big red warning triangular icon and the following message:

| This app is blocked
|
| This app tried to access sensitive info in your Google Account. To
| keep your account safe, Google blocked this access.

The app in question is named "Claws Mail", belonging to holger.berndt at
gmail.com (GData author), so perhaps that's the problem.

You may also try to run claws-mail from a terminal with --debug option
and see if more meaningful messages are printed on it when trying to
authorise your account.

regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones