[Users] Claws-Mail Crashes (win10)

Jonathan Boeing jonathan at claws-mail.org
Mon Aug 30 16:01:27 UTC 2021

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 08:04:59 -0700
"sgeneris" <sgeneris at mail.com> wrote:

> I have been running claws-mail for years on two identical win10
> laptops for years without a hitch. But yesterday I ran into 2 weird
> problems that make no sense.
>
> 1. I upgraded one laptop to v4 64 bit. It works, but my uninstaller
> shows it's a 32bit version.

What are you looking at when you see that it's 32bit?  The installer and
uninstaller executables themselves are 32-bit, even with the 64-bit
version, due to using NSIS.

> 2. I upgraded the other laptop, and the program crashes at load time:
> there is some disk activity, but nothing happens, no error message,
> and a Windows WER crash report is generated (attached) and a .DMP
> file. I have reverted back to the 3.17 that was working before to no
> avail -- it now crashes too. I cannot interpret the WER report.

The WER report says you're getting an access violation in libpango.
Can you attach a WER report from a 3.17 crash as well?

It's pointing to a crash in a pango_shape_with_flags().  4.0.0 shipped
with pango 1.48.7, and it looks like you might be hitting
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pango/-/issues/592