[Users] Typing Issue on Windows

Jim Pachowski jimmy.patch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 12:42:36 UTC 2021

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 3:12 PM Jonathan Boeing <jonathan at claws-mail.org> wrote:

> > I just installed the latest Windows release on a fresh installation on
> > Windows 10 and am facing a peculiar issue.
>
> Latest being 3.18 or 4.0?

claws-mail-3.18.0-2-32bit.exe

> > The following characters do not show up unless I type an alphabet
> > after them: 1. , (comma)
> > 2. < (left angle bracket)
> > 3. . (period)
> > 4. - (hyphen)
>
> Does the cursor move after you type an affected character? Can you
> highlight missing characters with the mouse?  What happens if you type
> multiple affected characters in a row?

The first time I type one of them, nothing happens. When I type an
alphabet or even the same character twice, both the keypresses appear.

Representing the cursor position with | symbol...

Original state: a|
One . pressed: a|
Another . pressed: a..|

The only difference is when I follow one of them up with a space. In
that case, the space disappears.

Original state: a|
One . pressed: a|
Space pressed: a.|

Oddly, when I press . (period) followed by , (comma), nothing happens.
It is as if I never typed them at all.

Original state: a|
., pressed: a|
., pressed: a|
.d pressed: a,d|

I'm discovering other weird key combinations starting with the 4 of
these characters that don't show up. And no other software on Windows
is showing the same problem.

> > The problem is only with these 4 characters and only within Claws Mail
> > in any text input context (mail editor or even preferences dialog box
> > text entry fields)
> >
> > I'm on Windows 10 and checked on my old Windows 7 which does not show
> > this problem. I'm stumped.
>
> What are your language settings for Windows and Claws?  Are you using a
> non-English keyboard?

No. Standard English (United States) keyboard that comes default with
Windows 10.