[Users] GTK 4

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 10:16:15 CEST 2021

Hi,

independent of the used Linux distro several people already run into
issues with GTK2 apps. Several apps were available as GTK2 and GTK3
branches, dunno if the GTK2 branches are still supported by a lot of
apps. However, migrating to GTK3 branches solved the issues several
users experience with GTK2 branches, let alone that one or the other
developer migrated from GTK to Qt for the good and the bad, which at
least isn't unreasonable. To stay with oldish GTK2 libraries is risky
and soon or later likely will cause trouble for a lot of users.
Don't get me wrong, I like GTK2 a lot, but times are changing and it's
unimportant what somebody, you and I like.

Your statement that "The fancy plugin works on gtk2" is moot, since it
requires a highly vulnerable unsupported version of webkit. This
version is dropped by almost all distros and the few LTS releases of
some distros, that still might provide it, don't backport security
patches, since there is nothing to backport.

Regards,
Ralf