[Users] GTK 4

Tom tgrom.automail at nuegia.net
Tue Apr 20 09:29:47 CEST 2021

The fancy plugin works on gtk2 far as I'm aware.

I'm suggesting to drop gtk3 and 4 because they don't bring improvement
over gtk2, and they are extremely gnome3 centric. They are just more
bloated, system resourcing using, and buggier than gtk2 and everything
in them looks blown up like your looking for a binocular.

They ripped out the perfectly good theming engine for some bastardized
version of CSS.

I feel
this is a grave mistake and it would decrease the value, stability,
speediness, portability, ease of use, aesthetics, freedom, and
maintainability of claws-mail. In fact not being gtk3 is one of the
main reasons I found and picked up claws-mail. After running thunderbird
become too difficult due to it being based on web technologies I started
paying real close attention to what programs I am looking into relying
on and investing time into are made out of in order to determine their
long term viability. I for the longest time did all kinds of hacks to
keep thunderbird running because all the other options out there seemed
completely unusable in terms of UI and did not seem like professional
tools for managing large inboxes.

Plenty of people other than me realize this too. GIMP for example
continues to release GIMP with gtk2 (gimp toolkit) not whatever GNOME3
and redhat are pushing, same with claws-mail it remains primarily gtk2.

I wouldn't worry about what distros are doing with C libraries. gtk2
isn't going away for a long time. In fact
there are rumors of a gtk2 compatible toolkit called STLWRT in the
works.

I urge you not to give in the the IBM corporate overlords here and stay
downstream.

Do you recall the client-side-decorations debacle?

/ Learn to pause -- or nothing worthwhile \
\ can catch up to you.                    /
\
 \
   /\   /\