[Users] Error message with SpamAssassin

Gil Weber gilweber at gmail.com
Fri Apr 16 03:24:44 CEST 2021

Using Mint 19.0 64bit and Claws-Mail 3.17.8 flatpack.

I just loaded SpamAssassin into the plug-ins. Preference settings are as
follows:

Enable SpamAssassin plugin -- ticked
Type of transport -- localhost
User -- gil (my name)
spamd -- localhost   783
maximum size --250 KB
Timeout -- 30 seconds
Process messages on receiving -- ticked
Save spam in (folder I set up)  -- ticked
Mark spam as read -- ticked
Whitelist senders found in address book/folder  (any)

So now when I open Claws-Mail and call my mail a few messages will
start to load but then an error box pops up with this message. (my
quotation marks)

"The spamassassin plugin couldn't filter a message. The probable cause
of the error is an unreachable spamd daemon. Please make sure spamd is
running and accessible."

As best I can tell I do have spamassassin installed. Here is the output
from the console:

gil at phred:~$ sudo apt install spamassassin
[sudo] password for gil:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
spamassassin is already the newest version (3.4.2-0ubuntu0.18.04.5).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
gil at phred:~$

Any ideas on why I'm getting this message and how to get rid of it so
spamassassin runs smoothly?

Thanks!  :o)