[Users] FYI: bug mails sent to this list

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Sun Sep 27 13:59:17 CEST 2020

On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 08:35:31 -0000
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I suspect that the amount of bug mails relating to bug 4385, (most of
> which contained duplicated information), tried many people's patience
> as much as it did mine. Therefore, from now on this list will only
> get the initial notification when a new bug is submitted to the
> tracker, and no longer get the follow-up comments.

My vote would be against the change, if we were voting.

I agree that 4385 was exceptional, not least your forbearance given
that it was clear from very early on that the bug should have been
reported through fedora channels rather than claws, and then upstreamed
by fedora if relevant.

But generally I find it interesting to see the bug reports and
subsequent postings without any additional effort. It's very easy to
skim through. Hence I'd like to keep the traffic on the list.

I would have thought that you like to keep track of the bugs as well?

> If you still wish to receive all bug messages, and have an account
> at  our bug tracker, you can add users at lists.claws-mail.org to your
> "watch" list.

I'm confused by this. I really don't understand what it means. If I go
to a bug in the bugzilla and login, the word 'watch' does not appear on
the page, nor does it appear on the help page. Even if I could find it,
I don't understand why I would be adding users at lists.claws-mail.org to
whatever it is, since that wouldn't seem to send anything to me, but
might instead spray it back to the list?

I did see a check box with the label 'Add me to CC list' and it seems
likely that ticking that box would get comments sent to me for that
bug? But that requires extra effort to follow each bug as currently
done.

Maybe an answer would be to set up an additional mailing list that
carries the bug traffic, then people like me could subscribe to that
list as well as the users list, and anybody that doesn't want the extra
traffic needn't subscribe?