[Users] Setting up a gmail account in claws-mail.

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Sep 27 01:04:19 CEST 2020

I have a gmail account (which I use but little; however I do use it
from time to time) in addition to my U. of Auckland account.

I would like to add this gmail account to claws-mail.  I've clicked on
Configuration -> Create new account, and filled in the boxes under
"Basic".

This results in a gmail account showing up in the "Folder" column, but
there is only a rectangle next to it, no little black triangle to click
on so as to open it.  (See the attached file "gmailIcon.png".)

I gather this has something to do with the recalcitrance of gmail in
allowing "untrusted applications" such as claws-mail to access a gmail
account.  After thrashing around around throught gmail's confusing
menus, I found Security -> Manage third party access.  This shows
that Thunderbird has access to gmail (see the attached file
"thirdPartyAccess.png".

So how do I get claws-mail to have access to gmail?

After some more thrashing around I found "Less secure app access", and
turner "Allow less secure apps: ON".

This did not help.

Thanks.

Thanks.