[Users] foreground color -- was: Re: background color

Pierre Fortin pf at pfortin.com
Sat Sep 5 15:00:49 CEST 2020

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 09:00:34 +0200 Ralf Mardorf via Users wrote:

>On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 01:40:29 -0400, Pierre Fortin wrote:
>>I've never messed with any theme.
>>All I find is the theme is "clawsola" which appears to only have .png
>>files.  I fired up CM2 and discovered the fg is white, while it's black
>>on CM3...  Same .claws-mail & clawsrc...
>
>Hi,
>
>the windows theme is not a Claws setting. It's a GTK3 (or GTK2) setting.
>
>>Watched CM startup with lsof and strace; but don't see any gtk or theme
>>files that contain anything obvious...
>>
>>I thought it was my eyes; but it's CM2(white/blue) vs
>>CM3(black/blue)...
>
>The window theme usually set by gtk-theme-name is in
>.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini for GTK3 and in .gtkrc-2.0 for GTK2.

:(  One doesn't exist & the other is empty...
$ ll .config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
ls: cannot access '.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini': No such file or
directory
$ ll .gtkrc-2.0
-rw-rw-r-- 1 pfortin pfortin 0 Aug 26 10:29 .gtkrc-2.0

When one gets missing|empty files, there must be some defaults
somewhere...

>However, a desktop environment might override those settings. I'm using
>the openbox window manager without a desktop environment and the GTK2
>and GTK3 Arc theme, with a few changes done by me. Unfortunately I
>didn't maintain my version of the theme.
>
>A screenshot of Claws GTK2 done in 2018: https://i.imgur.com/vczASne.png
>A screenshot of Claws GTK3 done in 2018: https://i.imgur.com/X1XDeHk.png
>
>The same issue, but the used theme IMO has got a better contrast then
>the one you are using.
Yup.

Found where to change themes; but it only seems to affect gtk2. All gtk3
previews look the same. Also, only "Zion" color theme uses black on
light-blue for selected text & all (but Honeycomb) use
selected_text(?)=white on varying shades of blue which might suggest
selected_text(?)=black is set or overridden somewhere else...

Then, the bg blue used by CM3 is darker than the available themes which
also seems to suggest selected_background(?)=dark_blue vs the blue or
light_blue of the available themes.

Editing the theme's selected bg color (yellow, pink,...) does nothing.