[Users] X11-inspired Crashes

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Sat Oct 24 20:13:38 CEST 2020

On Sat, 2020-10-24 at 19:38 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 15:29:26 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:
>
> > Ah, where's your sense of adventure? ;-)
>
> With regard to unleashing a possibly insufficiently tested libX11
> update on all users of a distro? ;-) Or with regard to building my
> own patched libX11 for personal use and evaluation purposes?

Well, I meant the latter really, but as a long time Fedora user (17
years) I'm not convinced that there is much difference :-p

> In case of the latter, I'm not affected by those crashes, so why
> would I want to use a changed libX11? The patch could still cause
> repercussions in the runtime environment of other users. There's also
> no major activity in bugzilla, so it isn't clear at all how often
> those crashes hit Fedora users.

True, and I accept that it isn't for everyone but I usually
automatically apply all of the testing updates and report problems, I
think that's really what Fedora is about isn't it?

>  edwardp somehow manages to make his machine crash frequently.

I see he was running in 4GB of RAM. To quote Marvin in the Hitchhikers'
Guide to the Galaxy "I can't imagine how anyone can live in something
so small". I had 8GB for some time, but it just became grating to use,
my new machine has 64GB and an SSD and it's absolutely liberating.

--

Brian