[Users] That won't work.

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Sun Oct 11 22:26:54 CEST 2020

On Sun, 11 Oct 2020 15:56:25 -0400
Little Girl <littlergirl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Dave Howorth wrote:
> >Little Girl wrote:
>
> >> In that case, you might still need to manually intervene and
> >> delete the extra address(es).
>
> >That to me has always been the most significant problem (i.e. scope
> >for enhancement) with this solution. It's annoying to have to
> >remember that you have to check every reply to make sure it's sane.
>
> Agreed. That's why I kind of liked the template solution. It turns
> out that I'm not going to use it after all, though, because it
> doesn't match the signature to the "From:" field. If you have it
> insert a signature, it inserts the default signature every time, which
> can cause a conflict if the default mail address isn't the one used
> for the reply. I could just not have it insert a signature at all,
> but then I'd have to manually sign each email, which would be more
> work than editing the "From:" field.
>
> >> There's also the issue of mailing list mails being addressed to a
> >> group rather than an individual. When replying to this message,
> >> for example, it was addressed to users at claws-mail.org and the
> >> template put that into the "From:" field of this reply, so I
> >> manually changed it.
>
> >Not a problem for me, because I sort all the mailing lists I'm
> >subscribed to into individual folders, and then I have templates set
> >for replies in those folders.
>
> I may have to start doing things that way. it seems like it's the
> most solid approach of all. It's not how I've done things all along,
> though.
>
> I've always had all new mail go into my Inbox. That way they're all
> "in my face" and act as reminders until I decide what to do with
> them. Once I've replied or decided not to reply, the emails are
> either deleted or archived in separate folders.
>
> If they're all neatly tucked away in separate folders on arrival,
> they'll be out of sight and out of mind and could become forgotten.

I don't find that to be an issue, because claws helpfully identifies
all folders that contain new mail by bolding its name (and colouring it
if I haven't looked at it since the mail arrived). So I find it pretty
much impossible to overlook new mail in whatever folder.

> It will definitely involve a bit of an adjustment for me to treat
> every folder as an inbox and not allow myself to forget to tend to
> any of them. It does seem like the most logical and bullet-proof way
> to make sure everything is perfect, though.
>
> >I haven't tried to now set a top-level %to template, because I'm
> >worried what happens to already established folder-level templates
> >if I do. Does a folder-level template override a higher-level folder
> >or top-level template, or what? Anybody know?
>
> I believe the individual folders trump the higher-level folder
> because you can put a check mark in the "Apply to subfolders" box
> when creating a template and as long as you haven't done that, it
> would only apply to that folder.

I'm not sure I understand that. You *have* to set the 'apply to
subfolders' flag on the top-level template, otherwise it won't be
applied by default. My question is whether that trumps a specific
template or vice-versa.