[Users] That won't work.

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 21:56:25 CEST 2020

Hey there,

Dave Howorth wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:

>> In that case, you might still need to manually intervene and
>> delete the extra address(es).

>That to me has always been the most significant problem (i.e. scope
>for enhancement) with this solution. It's annoying to have to
>remember that you have to check every reply to make sure it's sane.

Agreed. That's why I kind of liked the template solution. It turns
out that I'm not going to use it after all, though, because it
doesn't match the signature to the "From:" field. If you have it
insert a signature, it inserts the default signature every time, which
can cause a conflict if the default mail address isn't the one used
for the reply. I could just not have it insert a signature at all,
but then I'd have to manually sign each email, which would be more
work than editing the "From:" field.

>> There's also the issue of mailing list mails being addressed to a
>> group rather than an individual. When replying to this message,
>> for example, it was addressed to users at claws-mail.org and the
>> template put that into the "From:" field of this reply, so I
>> manually changed it.

>Not a problem for me, because I sort all the mailing lists I'm
>subscribed to into individual folders, and then I have templates set
>for replies in those folders.

I may have to start doing things that way. it seems like it's the
most solid approach of all. It's not how I've done things all along,
though.

I've always had all new mail go into my Inbox. That way they're all
"in my face" and act as reminders until I decide what to do with
them. Once I've replied or decided not to reply, the emails are
either deleted or archived in separate folders.

If they're all neatly tucked away in separate folders on arrival,
they'll be out of sight and out of mind and could become forgotten.
It will definitely involve a bit of an adjustment for me to treat
every folder as an inbox and not allow myself to forget to tend to
any of them. It does seem like the most logical and bullet-proof way
to make sure everything is perfect, though.

>I haven't tried to now set a top-level %to template, because I'm
>worried what happens to already established folder-level templates
>if I do. Does a folder-level template override a higher-level folder
>or top-level template, or what? Anybody know?

I believe the individual folders trump the higher-level folder
because you can put a check mark in the "Apply to subfolders" box
when creating a template and as long as you haven't done that, it
would only apply to that folder.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.