[Users] How to make claws put my correct address to the to-field?

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Sat Oct 10 18:06:04 CEST 2020

On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 17:24:13 +0200
wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 16:03:57 +0200 claws at dragony.name wrote:
>
> > Ihre Mail vom Sat, 10 Oct 2020 15:22:52 +0200:

> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > I'd suggest to:
> > >  - use filtering rules at incorporation in order to distribute
> > > incoming emails to different folders, following the account that
> > > is forwarding. One folder per forwarding address. See
> > >    Configuration/Filtering.
> > >  - in every of these folders, define a default account to use
> > > (right click the folder, Properties, Compose, set the default
> > > account).
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >

> > So if I understand you correctly, lets say I have 400 different
> > addresses. I would need to create 400 accounts and 400 folders?
> > This is very inconvenient and is not really a solution. I just want
> > claws mail to do the following:
> >
> > newmail.header.from = oldmail.header.to
> >
> > In case you wonder why the heck do I have 400 different addresses?
> > I use a database-driven wildcard email server, so I can sign up to
> > every website with a different e-mail address, which is very good,
> > because I can find out spam sources easily and block them.
>
> The solution I've suggested is obviously not ideal in such situation,
> but you would have saved me few minutes of life by saying first what
> situation you were exactly in. You're obviously not a human being but
> a robot or some kind of heartless automatism, probably not deserving
> to use a MUA like Claws Mail but a MTA in a house of scripts that
> would rewrite headers accordingly to your needs. Good luck with all
> your 400 database-wildcarded email adresses, robot!

I think that's pretty uncalled for and insulting. The original mail did
say 'many'. It's also the situation I'm in although with a slightly
different implementation and the situation is one I would recommend to
anybody who is in a position to implement it (i.e. one-time addresses
for untrusted correspondents), so by implication you're also accusing
me and anybody else with a similar arrangement of being a robot.

And if you meant it humorously, then you forgot a smiley :)