[Users] How to forward (reencrypt) encrypted mails?

claws at dragony.name claws at dragony.name
Sat Oct 10 15:27:39 CEST 2020

Hi!

I am using PGP for sending and receiving encrypted mails, but forwarding encrypted mails is impossible, since the receiver will be unable to decrypt the mail originally sent to me using my public key.

The expected behaviour if the mail to forward is encrypted should be the following:

IF the recipient's public key is known: Decrypt the mail, re-encrypt with the recipient's public key and send.
IF the recipient's public key is NOT known: Warn about this, ask to send unencrypted.

I can't imagine a case where it is the desired behaviour like it is now: Just forward the encrypted garbage to someone who can certainly not do anything with it.