[Users] Text Wrap in Compose Window: Space Key

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Mon May 25 09:04:52 CEST 2020

Claws Mail 3.17.4 on Lubuntu 18.04

I've (somewhat recently) noticed what seems to be a possible bug in the
text wrapping of the compose window. (From my previous reading on this
list, my understanding is that coding for text wrapping can be pretty
complex and frustrating. :) )

IIRC, I haven't changed the default settings for the auto-wrap length,
but not sure if that would make a difference.

I notice the problem in the following situation:
* 1. I am adding text with my cursor (set to 'insert' rather than
  'replace') between the last (non-space) character of previous text
  and the first (non-space) character of following text (eg.
  <string-of-text> as<cursor>if <string of text>).
* 2. The text cluster containing the cursor is located at exactly the
  position on the right-hand 'margin' where pressing the space key will
  cause the following text (eg "if") to wrap/drop to the next line.
  (For me this happens periodically in my regular workflow, but
  presumably you could just add spaces/characters to the line as
  necessary for testing purposes.)

The problem is that, when I press the space key, it ONLY causes the wrap
without ALSO adding a space. So if I keep typing (eg. "and"), then it
shows up as "asand" rather than the expected "as and", which then
means needing to go back to insert the space and often also re-working
the text a bit to get a 'clean' wrap.

Questions:
* 1. Can others confirm this behavior?
* 2. Am I right in assuming this is a bug?
* 3. If so, does anyone know offhand whether it's already been fixed or
  reported? (If I decide to file it as a bug, I will check on this
  myself.)

Let me know if you need more info on this.

Thanks,
Dustin