[Users] Fresh Installation of Claws-Mail

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat May 2 13:44:04 CEST 2020

On Sat, 2 May 2020 08:46:05 +0600, Dustin Miller stated:
>On Fri, 1 May 2020 10:21:49 -0400
>Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 1 May 2020 13:57:52 -0000, Paul stated:
>> >According to this page, there is no dillo plugin, no fancy plugin
>> >and no litehml plugin package.
>> >https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=claws-mail&stype=all
>>
>> Thanks Paul. I am off to complain to the port maintainer.
>>
>DM: Jerry, as a temporary workaround or longer-term alternative to the
>HTML plugins (i.e. if they're not rendering correctly), I have often
>found it useful to just open an email externally in a browser. If you
>have the browser you want selected in Preferences and you also use the
>setting to select the HTML part of an email if there is one, then a
>simple key-press ('L' is default) will open it in the browser of your
>choice. I usually have my browser open anyway, so it's relatively quick
>and basically the only thing (I think) you need to adjust to is needing
>to go back and forth between windows (on many systems, Alt-Tab works
>for this toggling).
>
>DM: I rarely had problems with the Fancy plugin's rendering, but just a
>heads-up to you that I'm pretty sure you will find that both the Dillo
>and LiteHtml plugins often have rendering issues that are
>'deal-breakers' unless you only need to view very simple HTML emails. I
>currently use the LiteHtml plugin, but I guesstimate that I usually
>open at least 70-90% of my HTML emails in an external browser for
>readability and to make sure I don't miss anything that can sometimes
>be 'hidden' by the plugin's rendering.
>
>DM: You may already know some/all of this, but I thought I'd post it in
>case it's helpful to you and/or others. Cheers, ---Dustin

I work for a municipality. A large percentage of the emails I receive
are in HTML format, probably via MS Outlook, but I have never
investigated that aspect. In any case, being able to 'easily' and
'correctly' render HTML email and being able to follow any
embedded links are imperative in my daily work.

I certainly do not want to offend anyone; however, 'dillo' sucks. I
don't know why the claws-mail team chose it for their HTML
engine. As far as I can tell, it is not even maintained. I have never
used the 'LiteHTML' plug-in. I have heard that at best it is mediocre
but never-the-less, better than 'dillo.' The 'fancy' plug-in worked
exceptionally well. Unfortunately, it was removed from FreeBSD due to a
security problem with 'webkitGTK,' I was told. I am certainly not a very
good programmer. I can barely write, "Hello World." I do wish that
someone with more experience than myself would take the time to update
'fancy' to use modern and safer alternatives.

I have had and continue to use an external browser to view email. It is
just an extra step that I would not be forced to do. I have been
told by friends to switch to 'Thunderbird' or some other modern  MUA,
but I have been using claws-mail for years, and I do not want to
switch if it is not necessary.

Oh well, tantum tempus dicet.

--
Jerry