[Users] Fresh Installation of Claws-Mail

Dustin Miller dustbiz at gmail.com
Sat May 2 04:46:05 CEST 2020

On Fri, 1 May 2020 10:21:49 -0400
Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 May 2020 13:57:52 -0000, Paul stated:
> >According to this page, there is no dillo plugin, no fancy plugin and
> >no litehml plugin package.
> >https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=claws-mail&stype=all
>
> Thanks Paul. I am off to complain to the port maintainer.

DM: Jerry, as a temporary workaround or longer-term alternative to the
HTML plugins (i.e. if they're not rendering correctly), I have often
found it useful to just open an email externally in a browser. If you
have the browser you want selected in Preferences and you also use the
setting to select the HTML part of an email if there is one, then a
simple key-press ('L' is default) will open it in the browser of your
choice. I usually have my browser open anyway, so it's relatively quick
and basically the only thing (I think) you need to adjust to is needing
to go back and forth between windows (on many systems, Alt-Tab works
for this toggling).

DM: I rarely had problems with the Fancy plugin's rendering, but just a
heads-up to you that I'm pretty sure you will find that both the Dillo
and LiteHtml plugins often have rendering issues that are
'deal-breakers' unless you only need to view very simple HTML emails. I
currently use the LiteHtml plugin, but I guesstimate that I usually
open at least 70-90% of my HTML emails in an external browser for
readability and to make sure I don't miss anything that can sometimes
be 'hidden' by the plugin's rendering.

DM: You may already know some/all of this, but I thought I'd post it in
case it's helpful to you and/or others. Cheers, ---Dustin