[Users] Standard view split pane drag handle

Brian bvamundsen at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 20:40:09 CEST 2020

My frustration that after Paul answers OP's opinion

>> "...which just seems a bit illogical."

that it is indeed by design and perhaps the OP can change it by GTK
theme.  Then others decide to pile on to the thread with more
criticisms of the design. without really looking at the genesis of the
application, the historical context of legacy applications, or the
existing standards for desktop application designs recommended by
standards organizations.

To help the OP understand the design elements and for those who are
interested in a "standard" for design layout simply go to
freedesktop.org or to GNOME.org human interface guidelines. There is
plenty of information on those sites about standards.  Of course
GOOGLE has information also, and even they recommend
clean, clear, separating lines, which can also be handles, between
panes for presentation. Which is why there are separating lines between
email messages and the header section of the email app?

> The reason that this subscriber was surprise about the layout is, that
> it indeed is a quite unusual layout

That maybe your opinion but the layout is not unusual. In fact it is
very standardized, using separating lines between pane views. Simply
look at familiar desktop apps like Thunderbird, Outlook, K-Mail, and
other classic email clients.  It just doesn't look like the hand-held
apps that many users have been staring at of late.

Paul and the development team don't need me to defend their design
elements or the overall design. But I do want them to know that the
design is neither illogical or unusual.