[Users] Standard view split pane drag handle

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Mon Mar 30 19:13:06 CEST 2020

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 17:20:38 +0100
Dave Howorth <dave at howorth.org.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:51:23 -0500
> Brian via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
> > I've been using Claws Mail for over 15 years now and have never read
> > so many mis-informed complaints about design.  I guess as more users
> > find Claws Mail, who have been exposed to poorly designed "hand
> > helds" they become less logical about what desktop design should
> > look like.
>
> You're entitled to your opinions, just as others are. But things
> generally go better if you present them as your opinions, rather than
> claiming your views as the one-and-only true point of view and
> belittling anybody who expresses a different point of view. That
> remains true whether you actually believe yours is the only truth or
> not.

Thank you Dave.

Seems such a shame that people can't ask questions without being
pilloried for it.

My original observations still stand, and I am not about to rise to the
bait of others. Far too old and been round the block far too many times
for that.

I just reread this comment of yours:

> To understand it's current position it is also necessary to understand
> that the quick search box is attached to, and considered part of, the
> message list.

As opposed to 'part of the message pane'

This where the misunderstanding is, and as a relative newcomer to
Claws, it really isn't apparent at all, and I haven't spent 15 years
learning  the faults and foibles of it yet. There are no visual clues
because the Search box moves with the message pane - apparently
attached and part of it.

Oddly if you hover over the separation between the message body and the
From/Subject line, and lots of space around the search box, you can see
a pointing finger show in various unexpected places, but it does
nothing. So all in all it is a tad confusing.

I am however wiser for the information you provided. It isn't a big
issue, and I had only wondered if there was a setting I had
missed amongst the plethora of others.

Of course if I was a C coder I'd just hack myself a fix. But
regrettably I'm not.

So I will now slope off and devote some time to a number of other open
source projects that I contribute to and can actually code for.

B. Rgds
John