[Users] Standard view split pane drag handle

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 20:03:14 CET 2020

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 16:34:46 +0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
>I think what Ralf means is that the widget used to alter the relative
>vertical sizes of the summary view and the message view is situated
>just under the quick search box, where perhaps it might be expected to
>alter the size of the search text entry box. He thinks the OP expects
>it to be immediately under the list of messages, and I suspect he's
>right in that surmise.

That's what I think.

>Not that I care one way or the other about the position of the widget.

Neither do I care about the position.

Maybe the OP should consider to check

Configuration > Preferences... > Message View > Text options
  [x] Display header pane above message view

and to collapse the search and to select a few items in the summary
view (list of messages), by taking care of the text "n item/s selected".

Doing this shows which widget belongs to the summary
view (list of messages) and what part belongs to the message view.

The OP probably is used to more self-explaining user interfaces.

https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/figures/window-overview-layers.png

When selecting more than one message, it is shown on the left of
"5 total". Actually both, Evolution and Claws have the line to resize
above the headers text, but Evolution has the search bar and the text
how many items are selected on another position, so Evolutions GUI is
more clear and more compliant with common user interface designs. Claws
and Sylpheed, too have a less common user interface design.