[Users] Standard view split pane drag handle

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Sat Mar 28 17:34:46 CET 2020

On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 12:52:17 -0000
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Mar 2020 13:45:16 +0100
> Ralf Mardorf via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:
>
> > it's
> > not related to the used theme, window manger or anything other but
> > the design of Claws...
>
> I don't understand how you come to that conclusion. Can you explain
> clearly and succinctly?

I think what Ralf means is that the widget used to alter the relative
vertical sizes of the summary view and the message view is situated
just under the quick search box, where perhaps it might be expected to
alter the size of the search text entry box. He thinks the OP expects
it to be immediately under the list of messages, and I suspect he's
right in that surmise. If positioned there, then from one point of view
it could be seen as adjusting the size (number of items visible) in the
message list, with the consequent movement of the search box and
message display being seen as a necessary consequence.

To understand it's current position it is also necessary to understand
that the quick search box is attached to, and considered part of, the
message list. This is reasonably clear with a little thought, since the
rest of the contents of the vertical space occupied by the inactive
quick search is occupied by information display and a toggle that are
associated with the message list. But it is a more complex process to
understand than immediately under the message list, IMHO.

Not that I care one way or the other about the position of the widget.