[Users] Sluggyness

Ricardo Mones ricardo at mones.org
Tue Mar 24 23:29:53 CET 2020

Hi Johan,

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:02:56PM +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 21:46:31 +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:
>
> > However, I assume libravatar serves a purpose so there's still something
> > fishy...
>
> With this in mind, I checked several messages and noticed that the delays
> happen with messages for which no libravatar can be found. There's a
> setting in the plugin 'Allow redirects to other sites' and 'Enable
> federated servers' with a time-out of 1 second. This corresponds to the
> delays.
>
> So when a libravatar can be found, it is cached and messages from this
> address display fast. If no libravatar can be found it will try to look it
> up every time a message is viewed, causing delays.
>
> Is this intended behaviour?

In theory misses are also cached, with the intent of not trying to
retrieve again an avatar it's known to fail until some long time has
passed.

It could be simply a bug on that caching, although, the underlying
infrastructure serving libravatar has also been changed since plugin
creation, so that's another factor to consider.

Just have to find the time to investigate, despite being confined at home
24 hours a day and working remotely I have less free time than ever :-/
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~