[Users] email message storage location

Dave Howorth dave at howorth.org.uk
Mon Mar 23 11:54:55 CET 2020

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 03:52:27 +0100
Ralf Mardorf via Users <users at lists.claws-mail.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 20:28:24 +0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
> >I don't know what system Ralf is using but I believe that POP3 mail
> >is by default stored in $HOME/Mail.
>
> Hi,
>
> I seriously doubt that a lot of users run their programs with default
> values,

Maybe not, but it's definitely a good starting point, especially when
the OP doesn't understand how to set it up so probably doesn't have
more than one.

> IOW not necessarily using just one mailbox, hence I mentioned
> in Claws you have got a parent folder 'Some Name (MH)', usually
> located in $HOME.

Yes but you talked about folders when the OP is interested in filesystem
directories. The two are not the same.

> A user selecting a path other than $HOME when
> adding a mailbox, probably don't need to send a request where to find
> the path, OTOH a user who added a mailbox just by name, not
> necessarily is aware of the path.
>
> However, the mailbox (MH) folders are in
>   $HOME/'Some Name'
> where 'Some Name' is taken from the 'Some Name (MH)' parent folder
> seen in the Claws GUI.

No, that's not correct. The folder in my system is called 'Mailbox (MH)'
The directory is called '~/Mail'. Both are defaults, AFAIK.