[Users] spell checker -- how to enable?

Gil Weber gilweber at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 00:34:34 CEST 2020

On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 12:33:28 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad at fineby.me.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 19:36:04 -0400
> Gil Weber <gilweber at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Gil,
>
> >When I check the Mint 19.0 package manager it also tells me that
> >Claws-Mail is **not** installed. I do not understand how it's not
> >installed yet clearly it is.
> >
> >I also do see that Enchant is **not** marked where you told me to
> >look. However the package manager tells me it (supposedly) is
> >installed. But it won't launch from there. And Enchant does not
> >appear in the Mint launch menu.
>
> The above two statements /seem/ to indicate (to me, at least) that
> Claws was not installed using your package manager, and enchant was.
> If that is the case, CM may not be in the $PATH being used by
> whatever command line console you use.
>
> >So maybe I need to understand why I can launch Claws-Mail from the
> >Mint launch menu but not launch it from a command line. And maybe
> >that will lead to a reason why I cannot launch Enchant. And maybe
> >that will then lead to finding a spell checker.
>
> Enchant is unlikely to be listed in any program launcher;  It's not
> something routinely called/run by humans, but by other software.
>
> To see where Claws is located, look at the program launcher's editor -
> there will either be a just a command (e.g claws-mail) or a full path
> to a command (e.g. /usr/bin/claws-mail).  If you see just the
> command, CM _should_ be in the $PATH, if you see a full path entry,
> try copying that to the command line and then appending --debug.
>
> At this point I'll add that I'm not at all familiar with the way Mint
> does things (despite its roots in Debian), and I'm far from an expert
> on CM.  Bring these two things together, and I'm running pretty close
> to the edge of my ability to assist further.  I'll certainly try to
> help, but at some point I may have to hold my hands up and admit
> defeat or risk doing your sanity more harm than good.

Brad, I'll report to you here exactly what I'm seeing. Strange might be
an understatement.

As a preface, when I look at the menu editor for Chrome I see the
following, successful launch command: /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable %U

For Filezilla it's: filezilla

But for CM the menu editor reports this command monstrosity:
/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable--arch=x86_64 --command=/app/bin/claws-mail-wrapper.sh
--file-forwarding org.claws_mail.Claws-Mail @@u %u @@

Which not surprisingly fails to work from a command line.

Gil