[Users] Attach one message to another

Andreas Fink finkandreas at web.de
Fri Jul 17 06:49:46 CEST 2020

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 19:13:09 -0000
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 13:13:26 -0500
> Ralph <suselist at cableone.net> wrote:
>
> > Most basic of questions probably but I have never known how to do this
> > within claws...
> >
> > I am replying to one email.  I want to attach a different email thread
> > from a different sender to the email I am replying to.  How do I do
> > this within claws?
>
> If you didn't mean 'thread', but meant 'attach'....
>
> With the new Compose window open, locate the message you want to attach in
> the Message List, and select it. Then drag'n'drop the top MIME icon (from the
> column to the right of the message view), the one which is of Type
> message/rfc822 (seen in the tooltip). Drop it into the Compose window. When
> you see the dialogue asking if you want to insert or attach it, click the
> Attach button.
>
> You MUST ensure that this attachment has the 'MIME type' of message/rfc822,
> so check it does (From the Attachments tab), and edit if it doesn't.
>
> with regards
>
> Paul

Wow, cool feature I was not aware of. However it does not work as
you described it. Whenever I drop the message/rfc822 part on the
compose window, and confirm that it should be attached it will be
attached as plain/text. Trying to drop the plain/text message part it
will be attached as application/octet-stream. Any idea what is going on
here?
When I save the separate parts and inspect it with
`file --mime-type message_part` it shows me the same mime types as they
are shown in claws-mail in the tooltip. Somehow the mime-type is
changed when it is attached.