[Users] Claws-mail hanging, cpu 100%

Ralf Mardorf kde.lists at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 18 09:56:02 CET 2020

Hi,

I recommend to test the GTK3 branch. I'm using 3.99.0.r0.gce219a1a5-1
of the GTK3 version since

Build Date      : Fri 30 Oct 2020 09:53:36 CET
Install Date    : Fri 30 Oct 2020 10:04:06 CET

and got rid of "similar" issues, no desktop environment involved, but
the window manager openbox on Arch Linux is used. It's a "classic" X
environment.

FWIW I stay with 4.x kernels, since I experience _serious_ performance
issues with 5.x kernels on a

Model: 6.60.3 "Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1840

machine, when running some apps, at least Firefox and Virtualbox tend to
make the user session unresponsive for minutes or end up with a
complete freeze, IIRC claws GTK2 and GTK3 are not affected by the kernel
related issue on my machine.

However, the claws GTK2 branch is more or less unusable on my
machine, since a very long time and it doesn't matter what kernel I'm
using.

Several, but not all GTK2 apps suffer from issues and those issues tend
to disappear, when using available GTK3 ports of the same apps.

At least one of those issues is related to some ominous X thingy.

I can't say that I suffer from the "same" issue, but suffering from
"similar" issues might be a pointer.

Regards,
Ralf