[Users] Duplicated sub-folders after Rebuild-Folder-Tree

Ralph suselist at cableone.net
Fri Dec 4 23:04:12 CET 2020

On Sat, 5 Dec 2020 07:39:17 +1100
Liz Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 06:13:55 -0600
> Ralph <suselist at cableone.net> wrote:
>
> > Um, no.  I was referring to the 64-bit Window's version of Claws as
> > unstable, not the version of the Window's OS, which is, fwiw:
> >
> > Edition	Windows 10 Pro
> > Version	20H2
> > OS build	19042.662
> > Experience	Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
> >
> > > Other than that, I'd look for things like iffy RAM.  Also, do you
> > > reboot often?  If there's pending (small) Windows Updates, some of
> > > them need a reboot to fully install.
> >
> > The hardware is not suspect. This version of Claws running on this
> > OS is suspect.
>
> I am not sure how you can apportion the blame to Claws-Mail vs Windows
> 10. For those of us not using Windows 10, can you explain how you
> determined that Win 10 was not to blame?

Folks, including you, really need to READ the original post in the
thread you are replying to, before you reply to it.

The version under discussion is the version written for Windows,
specifically the 64 bit version.  It has nothing to do with the linux
versions or any other.

I have run claws under linux for a decade and a half, with virtually no
problems.  The versions of claws that run on linux are not under
discussion here, they are my choice as a perfect email app.  But, for
the next few months I have a project that requires me to work under a
Windows environment exclusively, no linux graphical environment to be
on my machines at all, not even in a vm, so I've loaded up my usual
personal linux programs/apps to this environment, if they exist, along
with their data. Most transfered quite decently (libreoffice, gnucash,
firefox, etc). Claws 64-bit Window's version did not.  It has major
bugs. It is not compatible to the environment it was specifically
written for.

So.  Do you have an answer to my original questions?  Is there a way to
automatically regenerate a new folderlist.xml when claws rewrites it
during use and corrupts it?  Almost a daily occurence.  Or, better, do
you know what causes claws to do that and how to stop it from doing so?
Or do you have a fix or even a suggestion on how to debug the multiple
times daily when claws simply crashes and shuts down?

Thanks.

Ralph