[Users] Duplicated sub-folders after Rebuild-Folder-Tree

Ralph suselist at cableone.net
Fri Dec 4 02:47:03 CET 2020

On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 13:16:18 -0600
Ralph <suselist at cableone.net> wrote:

> Windows 10 + 3.17.4 (64-bit)
>
> I've used claws on linux for decade+ but this is a first on windows
> and I encountered a weird problem.  After running a Rebuild Folder
> Tree I have duplicates of all my mail subfolders in the Folder list
> along with duplicates of the subfolder's mail contents.  Structure
> like this...
>
> Folder1
>   Subfolder1
>   Subfolder1
>
> Folder2
>   Subfolder2
>     Subfolder2a of Subfolder2
>   Subfolder2
>     Subfolder2a of Subfolder2
>
> ...etc
>
> The folders without subfolders at the top-most level appear normal.
>
> If I delete one of any of the duplicated subfolders and run Rebuild
> again, both the duplicate and the original are gone.

Appears folderlist.xml was corrupted, with duplicated entries for each
sub-folder.  I have no useful editing tools on this Windows machine
that I could find, haven't even used Windows since the last millennium
(NT4!), so I had to manually edit the too-large xml file with notepad
to delete the extras.  Works.  Extra folders are gone and no mail
missing that I can see.

Question: is there a way to have claws regenerate a fresh
folderlist.xml when/if needed?  Just deleting the old file does not
work, claws then wants to load the .bak file which was also corrupt.

Question: this Windows version seems very unstable.  Crashes and shuts
itself down multiple times a day which is something I never experienced
with the linux versions over many many years.  Is this 'normal' with
this version or is there something I should be looking at?

Ralph