[Users] Error from sudo apt-get update

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Aug 27 23:35:50 CEST 2020

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 09:53:48 -0000
Paul <claws at thewildbeast.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 12:15:16 +1200
> Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
> > Yair, but it's still mildly annoying to get that "error" popping up
> > each time I do an update.  Being obsessive-compulsive ( :-) ) I'd
> > like to get rid of this error message.
>
> Of course, I thought it was a Claws Mail question, not an Ubuntu
> question. (Ubuntu have their own list, I believe :))

Many.  And they can be obscure, confusing, mutually contradictory and a
whole bunch of other things.  I don't really care whether it's a Claws
Mail issue or a Ubuntu issue or something else.  I just wanted to find
a way to get rid of that annoying error message.

> > A bit of Googling
>
> Other search engines are available (and encouraged)!

Yeah, I know that Google is pretty evil.  But I know how to use it and
am comfortable with it.  Learning to drive another search engine would
be a strain for my poor feeble old mind!

> >     System -> Administration -> Software Updater -> Settings
> >            -> Other Software
>
> Or edit /etc/apt/sources.list

Not correct.  That was actually the first place I looked.  I figured
that I would just need to comment out the relevant source.  However
there was nothing in that file that referred to:

> ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntuhandbook1/claws-mail/ubuntu

or anything like it.  So I then resorted to searching the net and found
the info that allowed me to solve the problem.

cheers,

Rolf

--
Honorary Research Fellow