[Users] APOP question

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Aug 24 18:06:40 CEST 2020

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 02:54:02 +0200
Michael <codejodler at gmx.ch> wrote:

> [02:41:23] POP< +OK POP server ready H migmx108
> 1MK4uc-1jvDWj2vlO-00Lqfe *** Required APOP timestamp not found in
> greeting [...]
>
> Settings are "Use SSL/TLS" for both POP and SMTP and ports left to
> claws (apparently 995 and 465 are used).
>
> My question in the first place is, does APOP (because it says it's
> 'secure') such a damm good thing that i better would use it ?

Yes, I'd say so: it adds another layer of protection, where even if
someone manages to find a way to eavesdrop on the clear text despite
the SSL/TLS, they still don't get your password.

However, your server seems not to support APOP despite whatever setting
you switched on. As the error correctly says, there is no timestamp in
the greeting, so the APOP response cannot be calculated.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1939#page-15 has an example of a
greeting with a timestamp near it, roughly <decimal.numbers at hostname>

Hope that explains,
--

MJR http://mjr.towers.org.uk/
Member of http://www.software.coop/ (but this email is my personal view