[Users] Fwd: Running Claws on an external hard drive.

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 18:41:37 CEST 2020

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 9:01 AM M. J. (Mel) Miners <martlet at telus.net>
wrote:

> Gents; I am a new user of Claws - or would like to be.  I did exactly what
> Lawrence did - I installed it on my external hard drive.
>
> From your thread, I need to change a config file. So, in what folder do I
> find this config file and where do I insert that string?

I am trying to figure out how I did it, what config file was edited and
with what strings. Its been a while. What I use now works but if I ever
need to repair or reinstall I need to know
how to do it. I am pretty sure it is in Claws documentation - I just need
to find it. Maybe I will do that today.

This string or your version of it
e:\CLAWS Mail\claws-mail.exe --alternate-config-dir e:\Claws Mail Config
is what you insert in Windows "run" command and it works for me.

I will try to find out how it works and will reply here as soon as I do.

Maybe you can save me some time and tell me where Claws mail folder files
are located and any extensions associated with them. It is a standard Unix
mailbox file like the traditional mbox.
I upload these and special folders I create to copy mail messages into or
store filtered messages in to my website to turn into sortable web archives
using mhonarc or hypermail. It is extremely useful.
If I create a Claws folder called biomimicry then copy email from other
folders into it then upload the mbox file to website to become a webachive
this becomes a useful information management tool.
Here is an example - I wanted an archive of posts by a famous plant
geneticist that were originally posted to a large sustainable agriculture
mailing list I subscribed to. This was mbox converted by mhonarc which is
not as powerful as hypermail. Mailman does it the same way only much better.
Joe Cummins' posts to the Sanet-MG list 8/16/2002 to 7/18/2007
http://www.ibiblio.org/london/SoilWiki/message-archives/JoeCummins/maillist.html

LL

> With thanks, Mel
>
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 9:10 AM wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hello Lawrence,
>>

>> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 23:20:03 -0700 Lawrence London <lfljvenaura at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> lfljvenaura at gmail.com>

>> > To a non-C drive.
>> >
>> > I did it with a new Claws install on a new machine through experimenting
>> > and it worked. It's all in how you configure it
>> > and telling it where you want the filesystem. Its the command to run it
>> > this way. I have one that works but its been so long since I worked that
>> > out I have forgotten how I did it. I need to relearn/reverse engineer
>> what
>> > I did before.
>> > It is a matter of altering a config file somewhere then pointing to the
>> > folder that contains it in the command string to run Claws (from C
>> drive on
>> > machine with external hard drive containing the Claws file system).
>> >
>> > On the external drive this is the folder system used:
>> > Drive E:
>> > [Claws Mail]
>> >
>> > [Claws Mail Config]
>> >

>> > STRING-TO-RUN-CLAWS-IN-RUN-VIPSAVE.txt     1KB
>> > which is:
>> > e:\CLAWS Mail\claws-mail.exe --alternate-config-dir e:\Claws Mail Config
>>
>> Well, there's nothing really tricky if you want to install the program
>> on E:. Just pick the right drive or path during the install process.
>>
>> The data directory will by default be relative to you user data dir
>> (which is commonly on C:), unless you use, as you already do,
>> --alternate-config-dir.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> wwp
>> https://useplaintext.email/

Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Avant Geared
walnut and oak serving and kitchen cutting boards
<https://sites.google.com/site/avantgeared/avant-geared-products/woodworking>
https://www.instagram.com/avantgeared/?hl=en