[Users] Switching from Thunderbird to claws-mail.

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 04:28:50 CEST 2020

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 3:21 PM Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> I am currently a Thunderbird user, and I am getting heartily sick of its
> slowness and various forms of recalcitrance.  I get and send a lot of
> email and have a huge number of folders into which I sort received
> emails for storage.   (These folders can have a fairly complex tree
> structure.)  I find that moving messages into these folders has
> (relatively recently) become fraught with peril.  I click on a message
> to drag and drop it, and very often the message seems to disappear into
> thin air and to end up in a location that I did not intend (or to
> completely evaporate).
>
> Questions:
> ==========
>
> 1.  Will claws-mail allow me to get away from the flakiness I am
> currently experiencing with Thunderbird?

Yes.

> 2.  Does claws-mail have message filters, at least somewhat analogous to
> those provided by Thunderbird?
>
> I think it does but I have not looked for them yet.

> 3.  How easy (or difficult) will it be for me to import my elaborate
> tree of saved message folders from Thunderbird into claws-mail?
> Impossible?  Possible but gruellingly arduous?  Piece of cake (said he,
> optimistically)?  Please note that since I have an enormous number of
> saved emails to which I'd like to retain access, I would need to import
> them in a fairly automated manner, and not in a kludgy one-by-one manner.

1) just guessing about this one
Get a Gmail account then import the feed to your account you currently use
Thunderbird for.
Then install Claws and point it to your Gmail account. If you create
filters in Gmail I think Claws will pick these up and mirror them in your
Claws feed and folder.
or 2) install Claws and point it to your current email server(s)
3) re-create your filters in Claws

Its confusing for me because I have a lot of old email accounts including
an active one I can not directly
access without installing Thunderbird so I indirectly access it with Claws
and it works fine; easily manageable.

> 4.  Are there any pitfalls or Traps for Young Players that I have not
> envisaged in the foregoing?
>
> :-)

Do you want to run Claws on your boot drive with the entire Claws file
system existing there?
I do not run mine on my boot drive; doesn;t make sense. I run 3 computers
with Win 7 to 8 to 10.
I Installed Claws on an external hard drive; all files exist there only. I
run it with a special string.
I can plug that hard drive into any of my computers and run it with the
same string. Works perfectly.
I recommend doing it that way.
Here is the string I use, change hard drive designation, folder names and
paths as needed: [maybe this will work for you]

e:\CLAWS Mail\claws-mail.exe --alternate-config-dir e:\Claws Mail Config

good luck

> I hope that these questions make sense and are not inappropriate, and
> that one or more of you will be able to provide me with some useful
> answers.

I will be interested in the replies you get to your questions.
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Avant Geared
walnut and oak serving and kitchen cutting boards
<https://sites.google.com/site/avantgeared/avant-geared-products/woodworking>
https://www.instagram.com/avantgeared/?hl=en